FAQ: Why is my torch so hard to light?
This is a multi-dimensional question, with a few things to troubleshoot. When looking at a torch igniter that is not working, there are 3 components to consider:
- Is there a spark?
- Is there a flow of fuel?
- What is the cleanliness of the torch tip and tube?
Most torches light better when the valve is just cracked open and there is a light gas flow. If your propane torch won’t light, take a look at the following steps for how to fix your torch.
Troubleshooting The Igniter
Step 1: Instant On/Off or Automatic Ignition
- Open the valve of your fuel cylinder
- Unscrew the torch tip
- Press igniter to see if there is a spark
If Yes: Replace tip and skip to Fuel
If No: Try the remaining troubleshooting steps, and if still no spark, Contact Customer Care at: 1-800-359-9678 or via email at Bernzomatic@WorthingtonIndustries.com
Step 2: Manual Ignition Torches
- Open the valve of your fuel cylinder so there is a light flow of gas
- Use a lighter or our Bernzomatic X405 Spark Lighter
Troubleshooting The Fuel Cylinder
- The Black Safety Cap: Has it been removed prior to attaching your torch?
*This should be removed prior to use
- Does your cylinder have fuel in it?
- Is your torch properly attached?
*The torch should be lightly threaded on, and not over tightened
- Is the valve open?
- Are you using the correct fuel for your torch?
If all of these are true, proceed to Cleanliness.
Step 1: Unscrew The Tip Of The Torch
- Does the tip and tube appear to be free of debris?
If Yes: Contact Customer Care at: 1-800-359-9678 or via email at Bernzomatic@WorthingtonIndustries.com as this may be a larger issue such as a pressure fault.
If No: If there is debris in the tip and/or tube, this can easily be cleaned with either:
- An Air Compressor: to simply blow the debris free of the tip and tube
- Or with a soft pipe cleaner threaded through the tip and tube to gently clear debris
*Using any other item such as a brush etc. will likely damage the ignition wires or the swirl fan inside some types of torches.