Learn how to build a DIY tiered metal plant stand using aluminum brazing with a blow torch with detailed tutorial, video and plans. It makes a great display for all your plants!
STEP 1: CUT THE ALUMINUM TUBES
- Start by cutting the aluminum tubes per the plans.
Aluminum is a relatively soft metal that can be cut using most woodworking saws and blades. The trick is to go slow so there is no build up of heat. If you are making many cuts like for this project, take breaks between every few cuts to allow the blade to cool down.
STEP 2: CLEAN AND PREPARE TUBES
- Clean all the tubes with acetone to remove all the gunk and residues.
- Using a metal file, slightly bevel the edge on all sides of the tubes that will be brazed. This creates a channel for the filler metal to travel into and fill the joint.
- Use a wire brush to clean the edge - this is akin to sanding and helps remove any oxidation.
Cleaning and preparing the tubes are extremely important steps to get the best and strongest joint.
STEP 3: SET UP THE JOINT
- Set up the metal pieces you want to join and hold them together using a metal clamp. Be sure to use a speed square to keep everything square.
It is important to use a metal clamp for this project as the aluminum tubes get really hot, and the clamp comes in contact with the flame. Plastic will not survive.
STEP 4: BRAZE
- Use the Bernzomatic BZ8250 Hose Torch with the Bernzomatic MAP-PRO gas fuel cylinder.
- Apply the flame to the joint. The edge of the blue flame is the hottest point.
- When you expect that the joint is hot enough, move the flame away but still keep very close to the joint. Quickly touch the brazing rod to see if it melts on contact with the joint.
- If it melts, move it across the joint to fill it with the brazing material.
- If it doesn't melt, go back to applying heat and repeat above.
Once one side of the joint is brazed, quickly go to each consecutive side in sequence and repeat the above. The heat from the previous side makes the process faster.
Once you braze a couple of joints, you should get an idea of how long it takes to get the joint hot enough. Build the vertical frames first.
Then attach the middle pieces to build the frame.
STEP 5 : CLEAN AND PAINT
- You may have drips of the brazing material, which can be very sharp. These can be filed down with the metal file.
- Clean the frame again with acetone to remove any dirt or oils from touching it.
- Prime and paint with the spray paint of your choice. A glossy black finish was used for this project.
And that's the plant stand designed to fit 8-inch terracotta pots!