Bernzomatic launches CylinderSafe public safety education campaign
First-of-its-kind campaign educates consumers on safe use and disposal of handheld fuel cylinders
COLUMBUS, OH (September 30, 2015) – Bernzomatic®, the industry leader in handheld torches since 1876, today announced the launch of the first and only public awareness and education program on proper use and disposal of handheld non-refillable fuel cylinders, called CylinderSafeTM.
Each year, millions of handheld non-refillable fuel cylinders are sold to tackle projects from plumbing and electrical work to craft making, upcycling, cooking and grilling. However, many users also have questions about safe usage and disposal– in fact, more than a third of Americans would like to learn about handheld fuel cylinder safety or safe disposal.1 What’s more, improper cylinder use, transportation or storage could lead to injury or property damage.
“Our products fuel the passions of millions of consumers every year, and we want every one of them to pursue their projects safely,” said Mike Verne, consumer products general manager for Worthington Industries, parent company to Bernzomatic and the nation’s largest manufacturer of non-refillable handheld fuel cylinders. “CylinderSafe is the next step in continually advancing our safety mission, ensuring that as industry leaders, we make it as simple as possible for customers to access the important safety and disposal information they desire all in one central place.”
The newly created CylinderSafe website is a resource for anyone looking for information on how to properly use, store and dispose of their non-refillable cylinders. As disposal procedures for these cylinders vary by municipality, the site features a built-in search functionality for visitors to research their local solid waste authority’s contact information. The service, with all this information available for consumers in one place, is the first of its kind.
The site also has an instructional cylinder safety video and a comprehensive safety checklist, which includes tips such as:
- Check cylinder and appliance seals before using. Never use cylinders with damaged or missing seals. Discard cylinders if dirt or rust particles are present in valve areas.
- Check for leaks once appliances are attached by applying soapy water to connections and looking for bubbles. Also listen for the hiss of escaping gas, feel for extreme cold and smell for rotten egg odors. Do not use if you detect fuel is leaking.
- Make sure your torch head or appliance is turned off before attaching a fuel cylinder. Be sure to hold the cylinder upright while attaching hoses or appliances and hand tighten only. Never use tools to tighten, as over-tightening can damage seals.
- Attach and detach hand torches and appliances outdoors away from pilot lights, flames, sparks and other ignition sources. They can ignite leaking gas.
- During use, hold hand torches upright to prevent flare-ups or flashes. If the appliance sputters or flares up, turn the cylinder upright and turn the unit off. Vent the area to remove unburned gas.
- Allow hand torches and appliances to cool after use. Detach the fuel cylinder from the torch or appliance when not in use and replace caps to keep valves clean.
For the full safety check list and more information on CylinderSafe, visit www.Bernzomatic.com/CylinderSafe.
1 This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Poll on behalf of Bernzomatic from September 8-10, 2015 among 2,046 adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Amanda McGuire at email@example.com.
Bernzomatic, a Worthington Industries brand, has been the leader in the blowtorch category since 1876. With a passion for craftsmanship and creation, Bernzomatic believes in providing the right tools and inspiration to take on projects and redefine what you can achieve. Bernzomatic products set the standard in safety, durability and performance, and include handheld torches, fuel cylinders, butane lighters and project accessories that can be used on the job site, in the home and in the hands of those with a desire to create. Find your fire at www.Bernzomatic.com.
About Worthington Industries
Worthington Industries is a leading global diversified metals manufacturing company with 2015 fiscal year sales of $3.4 billion. Headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, Worthington is North America’s premier value-added steel processor providing customers with wide ranging capabilities, products and services for a variety of markets including automotive, construction and agriculture; a global leader in manufacturing pressure cylinders for industrial gas and cryogenic applications, CNG and LNG storage, transportation and alternative fuel tanks, oil and gas equipment, and brand consumer products for camping, grilling, hand torch solutions, scuba diving and helium balloon kits; and a manufacturer of operator cabs for heavy mobile industrial equipment; laser welded blanks for light weighting applications; automotive racking solutions; and through joint ventures, complete ceiling grid solutions; automotive tooling and stampings; and steel framing for commercial construction. Worthington employs approximately 10,000 people and operates 83 facilities in 11 countries.